Sunday, November 15, 2009

Feel-good moment


City streets, they say, are awash with malevolent people. The "they" mostly being suburbanites to whom "downtown" is a dirty word, literally and figuratively.

My mom--and I--would reply that there are good and bad people everywhere.

I am handicapped and use an electric scooter to get around my downtown neighborhood. During a 2-block trip to McDonald's today, this happened:
--Two men who I perceived to be homeless opened the doors for me to scooter in the Mickey D's.
--As my scooter sloshed and slid up a small sidewalk incline (I underestimated how much snow and slush there was when I ventured out), a motorist in a parking area saw my situation, got out of his vehicle, and gave my scooter a push.
--Again, because I had mis-gauged the sidewalk situation, I was faced with maneuvering around a van parked in a driveway. Two men on the porch of the house there volunteered to move the van.

Mind you, I knew I had a little can of pepper spray in my pocket, easily accessible. But I gave these folks the benefit of a doubt, and they responded with help toward a fellow human.







No comments:

Post a Comment