Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Kate Campbell


I aspire to be, maybe in a future life, a songwriter as good as Kate.

Play cut 3  (JCatt, there's a good bit of cello). Then play cut 2. A woman who can write with such poignancy ("Older Angel") and with such cleverness ("Jesus and Tomatoes") is my goddess.

We need an older angel
If we're gonna make it through
One who's been around this block we're on 
A time or two

Smile, God loves you
I see Him on the vine
This just might be a sign

Bonus tracks:

Cut 5--"Galaxie 500"
And ode to a car, and to the bygone South.

Cut 6--"Crazy in Alabama"
IMNOHO, the finest song written about the Civil Rights movement by any white person ever.

I heard Odessa's mind was sick
That she was crazier than hell
The police caught her turning tricks
Down at the Blue and Gray Motel
Odessa was the neighbor's maid
She had 10 mouths at home to feed
They bussed her kids to Birmingham
And put her in the county jail
Nobody seemed to give a damn
They say a white man posted bail









No comments:

Post a Comment