Sunday, January 10, 2010

Retro crush--K.T. Oslin


Nashville underrates and ignores its finest songwriters, particularly if they have a second X chromosome. I mean, have you ever heard the name Matraca Berg? And while Loretta Lynn is a country music legend, she's never gotten credit for her savant songwriting.

KT Oslin splashed on the scene with "'80s Ladies" (hit post title or link below) then disappeared.

The title cut from that album is one of the world's best country songs: Poignant without sap; smart-ass but not crass; nostalgic without wallowing in some perfect-world hoo-doo.
 Lyrics after the link:

We were 3 little girls from school
One was pretty, one was smart, and one was a borderline fool
Well, she's still good-looking, that woman hasn't slipped a bit
The smart one used her head, she made her fortune
And me--I cross the border every chance I get

We were the girls of the '50s
Stoned rock and rollers in the '60s
And more than our names got changed as the '70s slipped on by
Now we're '80s ladies
There ain't been much these ladies ain't tried

We were educated, we've been liberated
And that's complicating matters with men
We've said 'I do,' and we've signed 'I don't'
And we've sworn we'd never do that again
We burned our bras, we burned our dinners
And we burned our candles at both ends
And we've got some children who look just like the way
We did back then
Oh, but we're all grown up now
All grown up. None of us can tell you quite how

We were the girls of the '50s
Stoned rock and rollers in the '60s
And more than our names got changed as the '70s slipped on by
Now we're '80s ladies
There ain't been much these ladies ain't tried






No comments:

Post a Comment